Since “Loyalty Unleashed” went from an idea to reality I have been out there, trying to send a message to anyone who will listen. And the crazy part is, despite being a painfully shy person, I am no longer afraid.
Before I was just another pit bull owner and animal rescue volunteer, trying to help other dogs like mine find forever homes. There were things I could do from the comforts of my own home to help dogs without having to actually talk to anyone. I could sit at my computer and help save lives without ever interacting with a live person face to face.
When I became a published author however, I became an advocate by extension. Besides the obvious public presence at numerous book signings, this has also entailed speaking before business groups and presentations at public libraries. It has been an education to say the least.
No matter where I have been though, when I tell people my book is about pit bulls, I would say about 90% of the responses sound something like, “it is all about how they are treated” or, “it’s not the dog – it’s the person at the other end of the leash.” There is still the other 10% that I have not reached and some I may never reach, but this gives me hope that maybe things are starting to change for the better. While there is still a lot of work to do, I am definitely willing to do my part to help make it happen.